Thursday, October 11, 2007

zip vs. rar files

Okay, I never claimed to be a genius and this just goes to show it's a good thing I didn't. Okay, I know most people zip their files but for me, when I went to zip it...I had the rar to use. Some of you have written that you can't open the rar files. Okay, I'll zip them. But, I don't have a zip program and when I go to winzip to download a program to zip them, I have to pay for it? Is there something I am missing? Is there a zip program I can use that's free? ARGH!!! Please, if anyone knows where I can get a zip program, let me know. I'll zip them instead. TXS!

5 comments:

Danielle Roe said...

An interesting question... and I don't have an answer. However, I DO know that there's a free program that will unzip .rar files. It's called unzipthemall and can be found here: http://www.herve-thouzard.com/modules/wfsection/article.php?articleid=6

Anonymous said...

Not sure about a program to zip for free, but for those who wish to download and use the rar files you've created can download the free 7-zip program. It will download rar files by using a right click. Hope this helps!

Sindiego said...

You can download Stuffit trial version. After 30 days, you will be asked to purchase it or lose some of the extras. You can continue to use this program as long as you wish without cost. You don't need any of the features that you would have to pay for to zip and unzip files. I have used it for over a year, now, without problem.

Ellie said...

Shawn, I recommend 7-Zip. You can zip/unzip files with that and it's free. (And like someone commented above, it also unzips rar files.)

Here's the link: http://www.7-zip.org/

Anonymous said...

You can still use rar files and let people know that "Extract Now" is a free program that extracts rar and zip files. It's so easy.